Tuesday, December 14, 2010

collective urban landscape project

Take a photograph of the skyline or urban landscape of the city you live in (or visit frequently) from a perspective that is or was familiar to you in your daily routine or as a memorable personal or communal experience. Write a few sentences or a few paragraphs describing your image as it relates to your experience...Email your photo and text to adamizucker@gmail.com


These images above are of the Empire State Building seen from a window in a loft in Washington Sq. I had seen this view many times during my visits to an artist and mentor I had spent some of the most inspirational months with. It was the realization that we are sharing such an intimate moment together while surrounded by one of the most iconic urban landscapes in the world, that made me take these series of pictures.

The fragmentation due to the window screen are significant because while I was looking at a building I usually have to strain my neck to see from the streets, here it is from a perfectly breathtaking viewpoint but I am the furthest from the city and its architecture in psyche. I am no longer one of the million people on the streets but an individual in a very positive place who has witnessed something uniquely personal through sharing my afternoons with someone of profound importance to me. Everything else seems artificial when juxtaposed with humanity and natural happenings.

For me being in New York City is not about the "American Dream" that I think is an illusion of grandeur as it is portrayed, but about actually living, learning, and taking the time to understand the environment around me through being in the presence of other people and places.

Adam Zucker, New York, NY.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting project, I hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I hope that you will feel free to contribute whatever you'd like!!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete